25 May 2010

From Such Great Heights


Bryce Canyon National Park was the first of Utah I got to see and hike this summer.
A few friends decided to make it a weekend of camping. We did a 6 mile hike from rim, down into the canyon, and back up to the rim. It's amazing to first see the canyon from the outside in, and then to get to experience it from the inside out. When you're down in the canyon you get to see the world differently than most people.
The canyon is so unique with it's
spires of rock and natural arches. The tall rock formations, formed from wind and water erosion, are actually called hoodoos. The Paiute Indians used to live in and around this
very canyon.

We made a little friend on our journey. What a brave little guy.


At the end of the day I was exhausted, but luckily we got to sneak into a hotel hot tub before heading home.
I didn't get any campsite or fire pictures but with a package of hotdogs and a few cans of chili we all had the best chili dogs.
I'm incredibly lucky to have been to such parts of the world. Being in new places, meeting new people, and learning about myself through new experiences is what I find most rejuvenating. It's what I love.

No comments: