23 July 2008

Island Adventures round 2

On Sunday we decided to go back to the bay we visited last week, also so Kirsten could experience it. Mainly thought because Devin and I wanted to jump the cliffs there. It's about a 15 min hike down, but instead of swimming the1/2 mile, we walked down past someones drive way and walked over a connecting beach land bridge to get to the island. Devin and I snorkeled out to the spot beneath the cliffs to check out the depth. The reefs there were great and had tons of fish - quite a few waves coming in and out of this area causing the water level to rise and fall. We decided the water was deep enough and clearing the rocks shouldn't be a problem. Devin climbed back up the rock coast of the island first, then my turn. I waited for the wave to come in and the water level just rose me up to Devin's level, but when I went to grab the rock I missed, the water level quickly fell and I had a little drag down on the rock. I got a few cuts but luckily I didn't even feel them and made it up the second time. I don't think I will have feminine legs by the end of summer. We climbed up to the top of the cliff - Devin jumped right off, I had to work up the nerve and finally just jumped (kind of face planting a little), then Kirsten jumped third. It was awesome! I've jumped the cliffs at Smith Mt Lake but jumping into the Ocean is way different. I was just so nervous I'd miss and hit the rocks below - phew! Devin and I climbed up and did a second jump - which I was more nervous for than the first! Matt and Justin got some good pics, thank goodness, so that you all will believe me!
We all climbed around the east side of the island and got to a pool of water we were going to swim across to continue on our exploration. I slipped on my way in and my pinky toe was stung by a sea urchin - my biggest fear of vacation bc I hate them. They just look scary and ever since Tasha get some needles in her butt I have been avoiding them like, I dont know, something terrible. After that I just decided to flop myself into the water instead of stepping in. I will later post a picture of these urchins so you will all understand their horror. Below is where it happened and you can see us tiny on the other side of the water.
We then decided to try to swim to another island. The only problem was that we didn't have any flippers or masks, so we were actually swimming there, we were in the open ocean water and not a bay, and the current was pretty strong. We got nearly half way there and I could literally feel the current and felt like I was swimming my little heart out, and not moving. I decided to go back and not risk my life. I felt like a huge loser for not making it, but next time I'll bring fins and a mask and it will be much better. We went around to the west side of the island and climbed up a big rock to rest.
We left our beloved island - the hike back to the car is the worst because you're way tired, it's hot, you're thirsty, and it's all up-hill. As we started passing the million dollar home on the way back, Devin and I decided we should try to get a ride back to the gate. I took off my shoes and thought I should pretend I was almost passed out and get in Devin's back to make myself look more pathetic for the situation's cause. Then, I changed my mind and decided to fake a sprained ankle - much better plan. Devin carried me down to their gate and we saw this bald man (not Matt). Devin explained to him I was hurt and wondered if we could get a lift to our car. The man approached us and asked what happened as he lifted up my leg to inspect my ankle - which was obviously fine, not cut, bruised, swollen or anything - so our only reaction was, to turn... and run! We just took off back out the gate and up the hill. It was worth a try, worth the tale, and a good attempt. But no ride.
That evening Haylie and Kristele (two of the sweetest girls at church, also from Utah) invited all of us, the elders, and the sisters over for dinner. They made an amazing meal and we were all more than happy to have a real cooked meal!
So Sunday was very eventful. Jumping the cliffs is one of my favorite memories, but to make this all even more intense - I found out from a local on Monday that the waters we were swimming in are supposedly highly infested with sharks! that's right - we swam in shark infested waters. They are there bc of the current and the fish (and those ARE true, so the shark thing has to be). Thank heavens I didn't have a mask to see below me, but next time...

1 comment:

Zane + Nichole said...

it all sounds like so much fun and so exciting! except when i read the part about the sharks, i was like, yeah, never doing that. :)